Sunday, July 18, 2010

4th Week

People are just as wonderful as sunsets if I can let them be. I don't try to control a sunset.I watch it with awe as it unfolds, and I like myself best when appreciating the unfolding of a life. Carl R. Rogers

It's a simple fact: if you don't get to know your students, you can't reach them; if you can't reach them, you can't teach them. I think this is something important to bear in mind when we are planning a lesson, as the success of that planning depends a lot on how well you know the audience. That's why I chose my 9th form class for the Project: they've been my students for the last two years and I feel I know them well enough to know what works with them and what doesn't.
I had a lot of fun planning my lesson as I really enjoy the topic I chose and the Meatrix movies. Nevertheless, it was not easy... First, because I haven't taught since the 9th June and now I'm rusty :). Second, because I find it difficult to come up with a lesson out of the blue, I mean,without following a pre-established plan, a sequence, and Third, because my Internet connection didn't work for the whole week, I worked from 9am to 7pm at school and I couldn't do anything but the task I was assigned there and I had to wait until today that I'm at my brother's to be able to do what I was supposed to on Nicenet and here!
Now, what did I like the most about this week's tasks? Besides the lesson plan, I really enjoyed reading the articles on writing and reading: great ideas I took from them! I've printed both and they are already full of notes. On the one hand I'm eager to put most ideas into practice, but on the other hand I'm afraid of the bunch of texts I'll have to mark afterwards...
The websites Deborah suggested we looked at also proved to be interesting and I managed to find a few pages I can use with my students, though the topics addressed do not always meet my needs.
All in all, I must say that once again I feel there is a lot of knowledge still waiting for me to get it and I'm glad I was chosen to attend this course!
Have a wonderful week!
Elsa

2 comments:

  1. Dear Elsa,

    I like your quote!

    I think it is always important for teachers to take courses each year! This way we experience our students' feelings! Actually I can't imagine myself teaching and not learning( not only from my work with the students but also by taking extra enrichment courses). You had a very difficult week because you were disconnected… this could happen with our students too. So we learn to be patient with our students.

    Yours,
    Khuloud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was extremely pleased to locate this website. I wanted to thank you with regard to this excellent read!! I certainly appreciated every little bit of it and I’ve you bookmarked to look at new things you publish.
    Customized Essay

    ReplyDelete